The BPI announces “Let's Talk About Race” – the latest event in support of its Equality Training Programme and work to promote industry inclusivity.
The free seminar for BPI and AIM members at 4pm on 17th September will be hosted by Dr Joanna Abeyie MBE, Founder and CEO of Blue Moon. The workshop will look to educate and empower participants on how to discuss race and ethnicity and related matters with colleagues and stakeholders within their businesses and across the wider industry.
This session is in response to the increased profile of the Black Lives Matter Movement and the growing need to provide equity to Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic employees. Blue Moon will facilitate an open discussion on the following topics in an attempt to educate stakeholders on how to challenge and understand the barriers and experiences of ethnic minority staff and in particular black and brown staff within their organisation.
The session will cover, but will not be limited to, the following areas of discussion:
- Understanding ‘White privilege’
- What is white fragility? How do you recognise this and how to ensure this doesn’t influence the way you source, select and hire talent and support staff?
- How can you be ‘anti-racist’?
- Micro-aggressions, what are they and how do you stop reinforcing them?
- ‘All Lives Matter’ and resistance to the Black Lives Matter Movement.
- Challenging your own bias
- How do we sanction discriminatory behaviours?
- Intersectionality: is there one ‘Black experience’?
There will also be opportunities to ask questions and voice opinion anonymously. Further information and an opportunity to sign up can be found here.