Following on from the BPI Insight Session which took place in November, we are delighted to share the accompanying report, produced for the BPI by Music Ally.
BPI members and industry guests can access the report for free here.
Music and sports have long overlapped through the shared passion and interest they generate among countless fans and in our media, and this intersectionality increasingly creates significant synergies and partnership opportunities for the two industries and their respective protagonists.
This BPI Insight Session explored developments within sports that the music world can draw inspiration from – whether about the use of innovative tech or new ways of engaging with fanbases; as well as present direct opportunities for music and artists to connect with this ecosystem for promotional or commercial purposes.
The BPI is grateful to all the contributors – drawn from Cherry Red Records, ClicknClear, Dapper Lab, FIFA, Fuse, MiDiA Research, Music Ally, Seven League, Shoot Music, Sky, Trapital and Universal Music – who each spoke and presented for 10 minutes, as below:
- New Tech Developments & Sports Startups – Joe Sparrow, Editor of Music Ally
- Spreading the Roots of the Beautiful Game – Iain McNay, Chairman, Cherry Red Records interviewed by Paul Brindley, CEO & Co-Founder, Music Ally
- Learnings from the US: Hip-Hop & Professional Sports – Dan Runcie, Founder of Trapital
- Working with Partners: Lessons from Sport for Music – Jon Drakes, Head of Asia Pacific, Fuse and Danielle Sammeroff, Director, Culture and Entertainment Marketing Partnerships, Fuse interviewed by Marlen Huellbrock, Head of Marketing Services, Music Ally
- Music & Sports TV - Peter Bradbury, Director of Music, Sky and Tom Roberts, Director, Shoot Music
- The Power of Music & Sports Fandoms – Srishti Das, Consultant, Midia Research
- Focus on NFTs: NBA Top Shots – Mickey Maher, SVP of Platform and Blockchain Partnerships, Dapper Labs interviewed by Casandra Strauss, Director of Innovation and Special Projects, BPI
- Parallel Lanes - How Music and Sport are Evolving Digitally – Daniel Ayers, Consulting Partner, Seven League
- How Music and Sport can be on the Same Team (The Potential of Adaptive Music) – Chantal Epp, Founder & CEO, ClicknClear
- Music & Sports, Same League? – Olivier Robert-Murphy, Executive Vice President, Universal Music Group for Brands and Jean-François Pathy, Marketing Director, FIFA, in conversation with Casandra Strauss, Director of Innovation & Special Projects, BPI